Sunday, July 10, 2005

Together Apart
By Dianne E. Gray

I like the title - so oxymoronic yet hints of so much. I like the illustration on the book jacket and even the blue paper in the book. I like the big fonts that are easy on my eyes and most of all, I love that story that's so sweet. A simple story written with a simple language, yet the descriptions are sharp and convey the meaning behind the actions.

The story is based on a blizzard in 1888, in which a lot of school children perished tragically. That particular snow storm became known infamously as "The School Children's Blizzard". Hannah and Isaac were together when the storm struck. Miraculously, they managed to live through the storm, by hiding behind a stack of hay. However, Hannah's 2 brothers died in the storm. She feels very guilty as she should have been at school with them, but was not, and hence, escaped death. The book traces how she eventually manages to come to terms with the deaths and the blossoming love between the two.

I guess one reason why it appeals to me is how they managed to find their way out of their predicaments and yet, along the way, helped many other people too. Helped her family to come to terms with the deaths, tried to improve working conditions of the girls, gave the women a place to rest and socialise, helped Isacc's mum escape from his abusive step-father.

I need to read more of such books! :)

No comments: