Saturday, July 23, 2005

the story of her

In the eyes of teachers and students, she was a model student. Good grades, most polite student - a good role model. She was my senior but was never particularly close to her because of the differents tasks we were assigned and a distance that was never overcomed.

Saw her on the way back from camp. Hand in hand with her boyfriend, she was crossing the road. She hadn't changed much, looking pretty much the same. But she's pregnant. Got a shock, then I remembered that a friend had told me about it before.

I just wonder, faced with such a situation - getting pregnant before being married, especially at a young age - how many girls would dare to do what she did? Being brave enough to own up that you had done something you probably should not have and being courageous enough to face the "consequences" of the mistake.

Still a model? Kind of, in my opinion. My guess is that quite a lot of girls about 20, especially those in tertiary education, would probably have gotten an abortion to avoid being saddled by a child, miring their educational, career and marriage opportunities.

Though, I didn't say "Hi" but I'm glad for her that she looks happy and that she seems to have a supportive partner.

I wish you happiness :)

No comments: